Attention All Members in Good Standing and Current on their Dues and Death Assessments
Local 697 Dependent Children Scholarship Grant
All members’ children living at home and attending college for the 2023-2024 school year are eligible to submit their names to the scholarship pool. Awards will be based on part time - $500 (up to 11 registered hours) or full time - $1,000 (12 or more registered hours).
Click HERE for the application to enter your son/daughter and return it to:
Local Union 697 Scholarship Grant
7200 Mississippi Street, Suite 200
Merrillville, IN 46410
All applications MUST be returned to the Local Union Office by Monday, July 10, 2023. Names will be drawn at the July Union Meeting – Monday, July 17, 2023.
The winners will be posted here on the website after the July 18, 2022 Union Meeting.
IBEW Founders' Scholarship
Awarded only to IBEW members
The IBEW Founders' Scholarship honors the dedicated wiremen and linemen who, on November 28, 1891, organized the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Each year the officers of the IBEW are pleased to offer its working members scholarships on a competitive basis. It is hoped that the awards will not only contribute to the personal development of our members but also steward the electrical industry that our founders envisioned.
The award is for $200 per semester credit hour at any accredited college or university toward an associate's, bachelor's or postgraduate degree in an approved field. The maximum distribution is $24,000 per person over a period not to exceed eight years.
2023 EDWIN MARSH MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
Up to four (4) scholarships for the 2023-2024 academic year will be awarded to up to four (4) applicants who shall be one of the following:
an immediate family member of a building trades union member who is a full-time college or vocational training student, or
a building trades union affiliated apprentice, or
a building trades union member engaged in furthering his/her education or skills to the benefit of his/her craft and Indiana's Building Trades Unions.
The value of each scholarship is $1,000.00. Each applicant must be a member or dependent child of a member of a local building trades union in good standing with the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council.
2. The winners will be selected from all entrants who submit a short essay on the below listed 2023 Essay Topic.
3. Each essay should be between 600 and 1,500 words in length, be typewritten, double-spaced, and follow APA guidelines for formatting style.
4. Entries MUST include a cover sheet with the following information:
Name of university, college, or vocational school which he/she is attending or plans to attend; or the name of joint apprenticeship training center in which entrant is currently enrolled; or the name of the building trades local union and continuing education sought or engaged in,
His/her relationship to a building trades union member, the members name, and the name of the local union of which that person is a member in good standing.
5. Entries MUST be mailed to: The Edwin Marsh Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council, 150 W. Market St., Suite 805, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
6. Entries MUST be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT, Monday, July 31, 2023. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
7. When received, each essay will be assigned a number. A master list will show the number and the name of the person submitting the essay. The review committee will NOT see the name of the applicant or the cover sheet accompanying the essay. Any personal information included within the essay will be redacted. Therefore, the review committee makes their selection based solely on the content of the essay.
8. All essays submitted shall become the property of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council and entrants give express permission for publication of all entries including the name of each author.
9. The Executive Board of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council shall administer this scholarship program, and its decision shall be final.
10. Selection of scholarship recipients will be announced on or after August 25, 2023. Winners will be notified by both e-mail and U.S. Mail. Those not winning will be notified via e-mail.
2023 Edwin Marsh Memorial Scholarship Essay Topic
The Indiana General Assembly recently passed HEA 1002, a massive bill that at its core seeks to expand work-based learning in Indiana high schools, such as apprenticeships. Please research the enrolled bill and give your thoughts on how Indiana’s Building Trades Unions could utilize the legislation to attract more aspiring apprentices.
SEE LINK BELOW TO DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THIS INFORMATION